Are you thinking of building a summer house, for storage in your garden, or just to relax? A summer house is perfect in both cases. But a thing that lets some people think is whether one needs a summerhouse planning permission? Not only that: what are the consequences if you are going to build a summer house without a planning permission, even though you do need one? There is good news: For the majority of cases you do not need a planning permission, but it is useful if you know what rules there are for a summer house planning permit.
When do you need a summer house planning permission?
Whether you need a planning permission depends on different aspects of your summer house. Most rules if you want to build a summer house without a planning permission are about its placement and its height and size. You don’t want do get an extra summer house planning permission? Then your summer house must meet the following conditions:
- When your summer house is placed less than 2.0m from the boundary of your property → maximum overall height of no more than 2.5m
- When your summer house is placed more than 2.0m from the boundary of your property → 2.5m eave height + 4.0m maximum overall size for an apex roof and 3.0m for a pent roof
- The building is not to be used as self-contained living accommodation or have an antenna.
- No more than 50% of the area of land around the original house should be taken up by garden buildings or other buildings.
- A summer house may not be placed closer to a road or public highway than the main house itself.
- The summer house has only 1 story
NOTE: This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information. Do you want to be sure that you can install your garden house without a planning permission? Contact your local planning authority.
Consequences of building without a summer house planning permission
When you are building your summer house without a summer house planning permission, failure to comply with the rules will mean you’re committing a planning breach – which isn’t good! In the worst-case scenario, you’ll be given an enforcement notice to sort out the issues, which can sometimes mean taking down the whole of the building completely.
Are you still searching for a summer house? At Woodpro we have a lot of models that don’t require a summer house building permission. Look in our assortment for the suitable summerhouse for you, or arrange yourselves your completely singular summerhouse in our 3D-Konfigurator independently and exclusively.